Sunday, April 29, 2007

A wonderful movie that is hard to get hold of these days is "Heartland", which was funded in the 1980's by the Wyoming Arts Commission or some similar agency. It stars Rip Torn and Conchetia Farrell, who come together while homesteading in Wyoming and , first as employer and housekeeper and eventually as Mr. and Mrs. Stewart, who are real characters in Wyoming history. At a point of tragic loss in their lives, Rip (who plays the transplanted Scotsman, Stewart) says to Conchetia, "When you get what you want, you get what comes with it." That sentence struck me at the time, and has stuck with me for over 20 years now, as I see how many times "what comes with" what we want has high impact on our lives.

3 comments:

caiticoodita said...

I like what comes with my Mama.

Unknown said...

I remember watching this movie on several occasions at home in Minnesota. It seems now almost like a movie of a different era because of its rare simplicity, doesn't it? There are such stories still, I suppose, but also so much concern for the fancy in film, forgetting the essentials of the story.

Anonymous said...

Good words.